Making of the song "Down by the Lake", a classic finger-picked pop ballad
OCTOBER 31ST, 2017
VG Tutorial Part 5: Making of The Song “Down By The Lake”
- I use two different guitar tracks to create the intro of the song.
- In the 1st track I play an A-minor chord over the bass note
- Here I use SILKs Bass Note Function and decide for F#2 in the Style Phrases.
- The style of choice is Simple Folk.
- I then use SILKs Animate Function to build up tension over the first four bars.
- In the 2nd track, I play higher notes to create a little prelude.
- Again, I play here an A-minor chord on a higher position on the keyboard (A5/C6) to create a contrastive pitch to the first track.
- Style of choice: TENDER NOTES
The Main Part
- In the main part I play the chords A-minor, Gmaj, Gsus4/C and Fmaj.
- To create a picked sound fundament, I use two different instances of VG SILK.
- SIMPLE FOLK is the style of choice.
- For the rhythmical variations I use the Style Phrases F#2, D2, F#2 and D#2.
- The 2nd track plays a higher version of the chords with the Style: BREAD & BUTTER.
- The chords A-minor, Gmaj, Gsus4/C and Fmaj are used in the 3rd track.
- Style of choice : POWER CHORDS
- The bridge uses three instances of VG SILK playing A-minor, Gmaj7 and Fmaj7.
- In the 1st track I use the Style: Allegro Ballad.
- For rhythmical variations I play the Style Phrases F#2 and D#1.
- For the 2nd track I use the Style: 70s Folk
- I also use SiLK’s Bass Note Function in this track, playing an accent on A3 and F3.
- To conclude the bridge I play a melodic idea with a 3rd instance of VG SiLK
- Style of choice: : ASYMETRIC.
- The dampened sound is created through an automation of the mod-wheel to apply SILKs damping function.
Intro Silk 1 – midi – DBTL
Intro Silk 2 – midi – DBTL
1. Main Part – Silk 1 – midi – DBTL
2. Main Part – Silk 2 – midi – DBTL
3. Main Part – Silk 3 – midi – DBTL
1. Bridge – Silk 1 – midi – DBTL
2. Bridge – Silk 2 – midi – DBTL
3. Bridge – Silk 3 – midi – DBTL
About the Author or Article
Martin Seyer is a composer, sound designer and music educator who works for the music and media industry in close collaboration with artists, directors and theatre productions.