"Down By The Lake" - A Musical Walk-Through
Making of the song "Down by the Lake", a classic finger-picked pop ballad
OCTOBER 31ST, 2017
VG Tutorial Part 5: Making of The Song “Down By The Lake”
- I use two different guitar tracks to create the intro of the song.
- In the 1st track I play an A-minor chord over the bass note
- Here I use SILKs Bass Note Function and decide for F#2 in the Style Phrases.
- The style of choice is Simple Folk.
- I then use SILKs Animate Function to build up tension over the first four bars.
- In the 2nd track, I play higher notes to create a little prelude.
- Again, I play here an A-minor chord on a higher position on the keyboard (A5/C6) to create a contrastive pitch to the first track.
- Style of choice: TENDER NOTES
The Main Part
- In the main part I play the chords A-minor, Gmaj, Gsus4/C and Fmaj.
- To create a picked sound fundament, I use two different instances of VG SILK.
- SIMPLE FOLK is the style of choice.
- For the rhythmical variations I use the Style Phrases F#2, D2, F#2 and D#2.
- The 2nd track plays a higher version of the chords with the Style: BREAD & BUTTER.
- The chords A-minor, Gmaj, Gsus4/C and Fmaj are used in the 3rd track.
- Style of choice : POWER CHORDS
- The bridge uses three instances of VG SILK playing A-minor, Gmaj7 and Fmaj7.
- In the 1st track I use the Style: Allegro Ballad.
- For rhythmical variations I play the Style Phrases F#2 and D#1.
- For the 2nd track I use the Style: 70s Folk
- I also use SiLK’s Bass Note Function in this track, playing an accent on A3 and F3.
- To conclude the bridge I play a melodic idea with a 3rd instance of VG SiLK
- Style of choice: : ASYMETRIC.
- The dampened sound is created through an automation of the mod-wheel to apply SILKs damping function.
Intro Silk 1 – midi – DBTL
Intro Silk 2 – midi – DBTL
1. Main Part – Silk 1 – midi – DBTL
2. Main Part – Silk 2 – midi – DBTL
3. Main Part – Silk 3 – midi – DBTL
1. Bridge – Silk 1 – midi – DBTL
2. Bridge – Silk 2 – midi – DBTL
3. Bridge – Silk 3 – midi – DBTL
Down By The Lake: The Song
Written by Mara Kim & Martin Seyer
Vocals Mara Kim
Song tutorial written by Martin Seyer
About the Author or Article
Martin Seyer is a composer, sound designer and music educator who works for the music and media industry in close collaboration with artists, directors and theatre productions.
We develop software solutions that enable people to create, consume and interact with music.