Create a Progressive Heavy Metal Riff
Learn how to start your heavy metal production with Virtual Guitarist IRON
VG Tutorial Part 2: Learn How to Start Your Heavy Metal Production With Virtual Guitarist IRON
Setting up the Sound
- In Virtual Guitarist IRON, I picked the preset ‘Wacken’ and the style ‘Big Accents’ to define the general phrasing style and the desired sound.
- Further on, I configured the AMP for a more heavy metal-like sound switching to ‘metal’ and tweaked the chorus and reverb function.
- Next, I played the chords Eb, E and G and experimented with different phrases (A#3 – G#2 – A#2 – G2 – A#2 – B and A#3 – G#2 – A#2 – G2 – A#2) over four bars. The goals is to create a contrastive rhythmical structure between longer power chord sounds, short staccato chugs and a slide.
- Finally, I added some automation on the ‘Thrust’ and the ‘Feel’ function to support the overall sound.
Try it out!
- Download the trial version of Virtual Guitarist IRON if you haven’t got the plug-in already. It’s free, and it runs for 30 days – without any limitation.
- Install it, open your DAW, and find Virtual Guitarist IRON in your list of virtual instrument plug-ins, and open it on a track.
- Download the MIDI file: VG-IRON Progressive Metal Riff – midi
- Drag the MIDI file to the Virtual Guitarist IRON track
- Download the drum loop Wav-file: Metal-Riff – Drum-Loop
- Drag the MP3 file to your track.
Try it. It's Free!
All Virtual Instruments plug-ins are available as a direct download in VST, AU, and AAX formats and work in any compatible DAW, including Logic, Garageband, Cubase, Ableton Live and Pro Tools. Try a free 30-day demo of a Virtual Instrument plug-in today and enjoy creating your tracks faster, easier and better than ever before!